Maserati 5000 GT1959 - 1965
Maserati 5000 GT (1959–1965) were thirty-two 2-door coupé automobiles, made by Maserati of Italy.
The first car in the Tipo 103 series, was the Shah of Persia, delivered to Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, who had been impressed by the Maserati 3500. He commissioned Maserati's chief engineer Giulio Alfieri to utilize a slightly modified 5-litre engine from the Maserati 450S on the 3500GT's chassis. Carrozzeria Touring developed the superleggera tubing and aluminum body of the two-seater coupe. The second car, also by Touring, was displayed at Salone dell'automobile di Torino 1959.
Specifications for the first 5000 GT were:
In 1960 the engine got some modifications: received a displacement of 4940cc with a bigger stroke and a smaller bore and were fuel injected; in the new configuration engine developed 340 bhp. After the first body by Touring, the main body partner since 1960 became Carrozzeria Allemano which did 22 of the cars, designed by Giovanni Michelotti. Other builders were Pietro Frua (3), Carrozzeria Monterosa (2), Pininfarina (1), Ghia (Sergio Sartorelli) (1), Giovanni Michelotti (1),Bertone (Giorgetto Giugiaro) (1) and Carrozzeria Touring (2 more).
|Maserati 5000 GT|
|1280 x 851 ... 195 KB|
|1959 Maserati 5000 GT|
|1024 x 647 ... 121 KB|